pixelated love
geeky and snuggly
7/31/2006 10:50:00 PM
Wedding Shower Madness
Excitement and heartache! Ups and downs! It was the circus that was...

My wedding shower! Dunh dunh dunnhhh!

It actually started the day before when I hijacked one of my bridesmaids, Anne, to come with me to the D-town area to meet with our wedding photographer. We had to go some time that week because the shower was on Saturday, and I really wanted to have the proof book of Stink Pants' and my engagement pictures to pass around to the shower guests. Plus, on the way back up, we needed to stop at the airport to pick up Noona! Hurray Noona!

The day started just fine. Anne and I made it to the photographer's place with a minimal amount of gippies (Gippy: noun coined by my dad. A word for turning around when you make a wrong turn). Halfway through the meeting, my phone rings. It's Noona, but I don't answer because I don't want to be rude to the photographer and I figure it can wait until after we finish.

After an hour and a half, Anne and I walk back into the heat of Friday afternoon and get some lunch. Meanwhile I take the time to call Noona.

--------------------------------------------
Laura: Hey Noona! Sorry I missed your call.

Noona: Hey. I'm not coming.

Laura: What?! Why?

Noona: My flight was cancelled because of weather. (Laura looks around in the scorching heat at the cloudless sky).

Laura: Awwwww! No!

Noona: And I can't get on any other flights because they're all booked. I could try to come tomorrow, but the plane will arrive at 4:18 in the afternoon and I'll have to leave on Sunday anyway.

Laura: Here, let me call Mom and have her call the travel agent lady. Maybe she can come up with a way.

Noona: So, should I stay here at the airport?

Laura: Yeah, I'll have Mom call you.
--------------------------------------------

So, I call Mom. Mom calls travel agent lady, and I continue driving to the mall, where Anne and I are supposed to pick up some extra wedding favors (and do a little shopping in the process).

Later, Mom calls back. There's no way Noona can come to the shower... unless she spends $1000+, stays for six or eight hours, then flies back. Wahhh! No Noona! Laura = Sad!

The rest of the day continues without any major hang-ups. Anne and I go shopping, I buy some nice high-heeled sandals (on sale, of course), and we have sushi for dinner. Other than a bit of traffic and a little melancholy while we pass the airport, everything goes according to plan.

Fast forward to Saturday, the day of the shower. It is HOT! We probably should've just cooked our food on the pavement, since it would save money and cooking in the house only made it hot there too. Mom was up early cooking and setting stuff up with her crew of homies (special thanks goes out to Ninang, Marietta, and Shirley. The food was delicious!). I talked to Noona for another hour while I was deciding what to wear, then I was sent to the grocery store for potato salad and various other random stuff (including 20 bags of ice).

At quarter to four our first guests arrived. Mom was still in her working clothes and only half my ponytail was curled. So, we greeted our guests and promptly disappeared to finish getting ready. By four o'clock, guests were streaming into the house and Mom and I were running around trying to get the outdoors ready so we could move everyone to the garden (there's more room there). It's about 5:15 or so before everyone can grab food and start eating. Meanwhile, I shanghaied Anne and my friend from college, Kristin, to run some games for me. I was planning on talking about the games with Noona but... Wahhh! No Noona!

The games I picked our were mainly sit-down, writing-type games. I figured it might be hard for some of our guests to do physical games, and it was just so dang hot! It's a good thing Kristin and Anne were there, because there's no way I could've done the game thing by myself, and Mom had her hands full just trying to get chairs and food for everyone.

Just as the games were finishing, clouds rolled over the sky and rain started falling. Most people made it inside the garage without getting too damp (my mom was not one of those people). There, surrounded by all the lovely people that care about me, I opened presents! (Thanks again to Anne and Kristin for writing the list of gifts down and rewrapping everything after I opened it.) I got lots of kitchen stuff and some censored (in case Stink Pants is reading this). After presents, our guests left with flowers and scented soap! It was all done by 8:00, but those four hours... actually the whole day just flew by! I went out for kareoke with my friend Jennifer after I had some time to recouperate from the day's festivities.

Mom and I spent all of Sunday sleeping. All of it.

posted by Princess Blogonoke @ 7/31/2006 10:50:00 PM

2 Comments:

Sorry I couldn't make the shower. I was at a teaching conference down in Detroit all week (*puke*). However, Jay and I have shower presents for you and Stink Pants.

We live in Fairgrove. You live in Caro. I'm not shipping them. I'll either drop them off at some point, or bring them to the wedding.

I just went through this. Time will fly by like mad, and somehow, everything will work itself out, and the day will run smoothly. I promise!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 03, 01:28:00 AM 2006  

I hope so... I've been going a little crazy this week.

Boo for crazy.

By Blogger Princess Blogonoke, at Thu Aug 03, 03:42:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

About Us

Princess Blogonoke
I'm Engaged!
Lecheplan Recipe!


*Helpful Wedding Stuff

Gift Registries
Driving Directions!
Hotels and Attractions
Reception Music
Barong Tagalog or not?


Archives

January 2005 March 2005 April 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 October 2005 January 2006 February 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006

nerds need love, too

true love in the digital age